Special Events Manager
Marketplace at Callingwood
The Marketplace at Callingwood is seeking a Special Events Manager to coordinate shopping centre and farmers’ market events throughout the year. This is a casual, contract position. Reporting to the Marketing Director, the Special Events Manager will oversee already established events including:
Kidzone: 7 events (one per month from May to November). Approximately 6-8 hours per event.
Farmers Market opening day: 1 events. Approximately 6-8 hours
DIY events: 7 events, approximately 6-8 hours per event.
Santa Photos & Hay Rides: 1 event, approximately 10-12 hours.
Pop-Up Night Market: 1 event, approximately 10-12 hours
Farmer’s Market Bike Day: 1 event, approximately 6-8 hours
Community Fitness Event: 1 event, approximately 6-8 hours
Working with the Marketing Director, the Special Events Manager will also develop social media campaigns throughout the Farmers Market Season which runs May – October. The event plans will be flexible with COVID-19 restrictions taken into consideration.
Responsibilities include developing event concepts and themes, establishing partnerships and suppliers, and managing start-to-finish event logistics. There may be a few smaller events that come up throughout the year.
Other responsibilities include:
- Developing new event themes and ideas based on market demand and current trends
- Developing plans that include suggested strategies to achieve event objectives
- Developing, maintaining and adhering to detailed event budgets
- Coordinating all aspects of the events to ensure their ultimate success
- Being onsite at the events to manage all activities, suppliers, volunteers, etc.
- Greeting and managing guests at events
- Handling all post-event tasks such as developing a final report, budget, thank you letters, etc.
- Attending periodical meetings (phone and/or in person) with Marketing Manager
- Sourcing sponsorships among mall tenants and community partners
- Finding unique and budget appropriate event activities
- Maintaining relationships and working with various event suppliers
- Assisting with social media posting during setup and during events
The ideal candidate for this position has a minimum of five years’ experience with event planning and post-secondary education involving event management, public relations or marketing. We are looking for a highly ambitious individual with an enthusiastic personality and outstanding people skills. The candidate must be able to work independently or in a team environment, have exceptional leadership skills, complex problem-solving abilities and is extremely detail oriented. As noted, this is a contract position therefore the candidate must have their own registered business and ability to work independently from home or otherwise. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working on community or retail events.
The Marketplace at Callingwood is an outdoor shopping centre located in west Edmonton with over 65 retail shops and professional services. We are also home to the Callingwood Professional Centre and Callingwood Farmers’ Market.
Interested individuals are asked to email their cover letter and resume in PDF format, including annual contract rate expectations by March 5th, 2021